The membership of The Hungry Club Forum of Savannah, Inc. (HCFS) is “hungry” for: Equity, Peace, Knowledge, Justice, Fellowship, Prosperity, Love, Justice, Friendship, Parity, Success, Good Citizenship and Goodwill.
The centerpiece of The HCFS, the monthly breakfast and open forum series, is patterned after the decades-old Atlanta forum, and provides a unique opportunity for representatives of a broad range of the total Savannah and Coastal Area community to hear from noted individuals, both local, and from other areas, who have a message of growth, progress and inspiration for the community. The forums are held on the first Saturday of each month, in the Multipurpose Annex of the West Broad Street YMCA, located at 1110 May Street, beginning at 9:30 AM.
Founded in May 2006, The HCFS has developed and conducted nearly 60 educational, economic empowerment and cultural enrichment programs:
• Monthly breakfast open forums and roundtable discussions.
• Annual Community Service Appreciation Luncheon and Washington-Walker Awards Program.
• Annual Heritage Dinner and Coastal Entertainment Showcase.
• The BEST School’s “Understanding the IRS Seminar for Organizations and Individuals”.
• Provided organizational and technical support to the launch of the Chatham-Savannah Faith-Based and Community Coalition.
• “A School Citizenship Education Workshop, Contest and Back-to-School Pep Rally” as a Community Partner with the U. S. Census Bureau’s 2010 Accurate Count initiative.
• As a supporter of the U.S. Census Bureau 2010 Accurate Count, co-sponsored with the Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys, a “Citizenship Education Workshop and Holiday Gifts Program” for youth and parents/guardians who reside in the Frazier and Kayton Homes Housing Projects.
• In February 2009, The HCFS undertook the launch of the development and facilitation of The Covenant With Black Savannah, a community-wide development initiative.